I love spinach. I like eggs. I like the combination of spinach and eggs even more. It’s a great combination, not just judging by my my taste buds–there are all kinds of recipes that combine spinach and eggs. One of my favorites: Spinach and Bacon Quiche. Spinach, eggs, bacon and cheese. MMMmmmm . . . you can’t beat that. And how about a casserole or a simple omelette? Lots of possibilities.
I came up with this recipe because my husband and son went to Costco last week and bought a ginormous bag of raw baby spinach. I mean a H-U-G-E bag of spinach. We steamed spinach for dinner a couple of nights during the week. I put a baggie full of raw spinach in Garrett’s lunch with some carrots on another day. Suddenly it was the weekend. I still had a big ol’ pile of spinach taking up too much space in my fridge. I had an idea.
A few notes on this recipe:
- If you have cream in your fridge, use that instead of the milk and cream cheese. I didn’t have any cream, but I wanted my spinach a little creamy–good thing we had cream cheese in the fridge (Garrett loves bagels and cream cheese).
- You don’t have to use cheddar cheese to top your eggs–use whatever cheese you like or have on hand. If I had had some gruyere or even some swiss, I would have used that. So good with spinach.
- Crumbled bacon would be delicious on top of this, too.
Skillet Poached Eggs with Spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- Dash nutmeg
- 10 cups fresh spinach (10 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon reduced fat milk
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Melt butter in large skillet over med-low heat. Add garlic and onion; reduce heat to low. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
Add nutmeg, spinach, water; season with salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high; cook, turning frequently, until wilted, 4–5 minutes. After the first minute or so, sprinkle in the flour and keep turning.
Add the milk and cream cheese and stir to combine and to melt the cream cheese.
Make 4 deep indentations in center of spinach. Carefully break 1 egg into each hollow, taking care to keep yolks intact. Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle cheese over eggs.
Cover skillet and cook until egg whites are set, about 5 minutes.